Australian Money Saving Tips The Simple Savings website is packed full with helpful tips. There are over 7,000 ways you could be saving money. Easy, simple tricks that ordinary Australians use to make their dollars stretch further.

Click here to learn how you could be saving money. The site teaches people how to shop wisely. I highly recommend it.

Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

My Secret Life as an Easter bunny




Photographs are by Andrew Gould who is a very good photographer by the way.
I am just too shy to include any with my face in them.
They were taken in my first year as the Avatar of Christmas, when I mysteriously turned into a living human tree...

Many years ago when I was young, less skilled but willing to turn my hand to anything, a friend was making $25 an hour spruiking. Doing what? you ask. Basically standing outside a shop in the city, microphone in hand, talking the talk about the products on offer at a shop, the type of which we would now call a $2 shop. Selling cosmetics, pseudo designer perfumes, handbags, costume jewelry and the like. As an amateur actress, I was intrigued. As a financially challenged student I was very interested. I joined the agency ( had an interview) and was sent on several jobs. One was being a piece of fruit at a promotion being held at a race course, handing out reciepes. One spectacularly hot day in the Easter period, I was a huge pink bunny promenading in Cronulla, giving out little Easter eggs. This was really fun, interacting with young kids, taking photos with tourists, and enjoying the local shoppers enjoyment...until I was bunny mugged. I am not joking - some nasty young persons ran into me bodily and grabbed handfuls of eggs. They could have just asked! I say 'persons' as with a huge pink head on and rivulets of sweat in my eyes establishing gender was not an option. Those costume heads are hot and heavy.


I had two or three jobs in total I think. I suspect I was a pretty average performer and there is plenty of competition for anything remotely like an acting job.


I was also interviewed for Gorilla grams but had to miss out on that one as I did not have a car. Pity... I think I would have enjoyed that.

If you like this kind of work there seem to be opportunities at theme parks like Wet and Wild, Movie World and the like. Possibly Luna Park too. Fairies, Clowns and Magicians seem to abound in the pages of Sydney's Child magazine offering to make your child's birthday party a hit.


Please post your comments especially if you have had similar jobs...belly dance a gram, costume work, or handing out flyers.

My costume work is now limited to the annual Christmas Season, when I dress up as the Spirit of Christmas for the pleasure of students and staff, sometimes collecting money for charities like TEAR Australia.



No comments:

Post a Comment