Australian Money Saving Tips The Simple Savings website is packed full with helpful tips. There are over 7,000 ways you could be saving money. Easy, simple tricks that ordinary Australians use to make their dollars stretch further.

Click here to learn how you could be saving money. The site teaches people how to shop wisely. I highly recommend it.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Nielson Homescan

I kept on receiving offers via several different survey companies to join Nielson Homescan program. Some of these offers included incentive points if I joined- Like X number of points WDYT if i signed up. But whenever I tried to fill in the lenghthy application (I mean names, date of birth, height weight you name it of all family members plus shopping habits) the program would go Phutt at some point. So I gave up. Eventually they msut have got the gremlins out and fool that I am, applied. This was followed sometime alter by an email saying someone would be in touch. They were, by mobile, while I was juggling a ciggie, my work bag and trying to help dear hubby get the kids into the car while they were trying to share their school day. Anyway long conversation with many requests for repetition later, I was "Signed on" so to speak with a commitment of 6 months, and the probability that it would take that long to earn a reward- like a $20 Myer voucher or similar. About 2 weeks later my scanner package arrived. I ignored it for a while with other things to do but eventually set it up.

Of course the kids love it because it has a yellow button and a red light for scanning. Scanning requires a fair bit of input- primary shopper, additional persons on the shop, which shop, scanning , number of items and price. That isn't too bad, but what irks me is trying to add the total, as I do not always have a receipt handy. I won 100 points for using it within the first two weeks of arrival, and with 2 birthdays in June,(50 points each) 50 points per month for all shopping being scanned, we may actually earn a voucher within 3 months. There are various competitions but frankly I prefer better incentives. 110 points gets you a Nielson branded manicure set- well no thanks I can pay $5 for one at the $2 shop. i'll stick with it as it is early days yet.

The Good: Reliable company, bonus points, kids are enjoying scanning and this can be used to increase their numeracy. They are not asking you to buy anything and provide all equipment.
The Bad: A bit finnicky, time intensive and not really high incentives relative to effort.

Overall: If you have plenty of time on your hands & enjoy gadgets then I'd go for it.

Update: Still hanging in there and had fun with my daughter scanning the other evening. I am now up to 1/3 of a $20 voucher.

No comments:

Post a Comment